Demonstrating innovative pharmacy practice resulting in improved patient care, Gretchen Kreckel Garofoli, PharmD, will be presented the 2018 Excellence In Innovation Award at the West Virginia Pharmacists Association 111th Annual Convention, August 18, at the Charleston Marriott Hotel. The Award is sponsored by Upsher-Smith Laboratories.
She practices at Waterfront Family Pharmacy in Morgantown, and is a Clinical Associate Professor at West Virginia University School of Pharmacy. She graduated in 2009 from the University of Pittsburgh School of Pharmacy.
While practicing at Waterfront, she also serves as a residency primary preceptor and site coordinator for the School’s PGY-1 Community Based Residency Program. She has provided oversight and direction as the pharmacy received status as an AADE accredited program for diabetes-self management education. She also helped the pharmacy develop its successful medication synchronization program and served as a co-investigator for research in this area that was recently published by the Journal of the American Pharmacists Association.
Gretchen has assisted Waterfront Pharmacy in growing its reputation of excellence in the community for providing outreach through blood pressure and blood glucose screenings, as well as immunization clinics, on a regular basis at numerous community locations.
Due to Gretchen’s efforts, in addition to the amazing pharmacy staff at Waterfront, the pharmacy was recognized at a national level in 2014 by Cardinal Health for “Best Practices.”
The innovative impact of Gretchen’s practice can be measured in the outcomes that have been demonstrated since her time began at Waterfront, as evidenced by some the highlights below:
- The number of influenza vaccines provided by pharmacists increased by 130% from 2012 to 2013 and by 248% from 2012 to 2017
- A total of 493 patients have been enrolled in the pharmacy’s comprehensive medication synchronization program
- 486 interventions have been made through the medication therapy management programs
- She has assisted the pharmacy in completing 115 Medicare Part D consultations with patients from Waterfront Family Pharmacy to assist them with choosing the best prescription drug plan.
- 1,172 blood pressure and 1,114 blood glucose screenings have been conducted at 91 total events at the pharmacy since 2013.
Gretchen is truly a role model for young pharmacists to follow nationwide. She was named as a finalist for the National Community Pharmacists Association’s Rising Star Award in 2010, which exemplified her rising status among young community pharmacy practitioners nationwide.
In 2015, she was recognized by the American Pharmacists Association and received APhA’s Distinguished New Practitioner Award.